varidog: (Default)
[personal profile] varidog
Reddits has an algorithm, and I can finally articulate why I detest the algorithm.

For me, feeds are about information that I'd like to see. I glean information from these feeds. Gleaning is my primary use.

The algorithm works by interaction. It gives you more of what you interact with. It removes what I'd like to glean and replaces it with things to engage me.

I don't want to be engaged, I want the information that I signed up for.

Case in point, I answered a few questions, so Reddit began feeding me more questions, questions upon questions, until I nearly screamed at all the questions.

I have discovered the MUTE button, and I am now aggressively using that to my own advantage. This doesn't stop Reddit from trying over and over to give me more of whatever I mute, but it's slowly shaping my view.

I miss simple feeds that just showed you everything and didn't attempt to outguess you, but that's too straightforward.

Profile

varidog: (Default)
Varidog

October 2026

S M T W T F S
    12 3
4 5 67 8 910
11 12 131415 16 17
18 1920 21 22 23 24
252627 28 293031

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 30th, 2026 06:22 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios